Thursday, January 21, 2010

Figure Drawing

The drawing exercises continued today with figure drawing, or croquis. Now, this had me all kinds of excited - I mean, every artist I know speaks highly of the subject, and finally I would be able to give it a shot. Indeed, muy muy excited.

I worked with pencil first, but I don't like them much so here's a single one:


The pencil ones ranged from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes.

Then we were given chalks, reddish brown, maybe Burnt Sienna, I don't actually know. Anyway, this was fun. It was easier to keep the drawing loose and I had fun fleshing out the form and shadows. It was a very messy method, chalk everywhere. These were done in 3-4-6 minutes.


 

We then continued with water-solluble earth-colors - colors pulled, as they are, from the ground. I'll share those some other day - they need to dry properly.

Something I really enjoyed about th whole thing, was that after a while of drawing we were told to put four of our best/latest drawings on our board and then go around and look at everyone else's work. Very inspirational in the midst of things. Also It seems to have been a good thing for us to do the other execises first - they helped us build some speed in these ones.

Cheers!!

- Jonas

No comments: